Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Pushy Pays Off

Hmmm... they the picked the Filipinos because Americans couldn't stand the Indian accent. Next thing I know, after I've been on the phone with the tech support guy and trying to understand why I need to wait 24 to 48 hours, I ask, are you located in India or the US (I really thought he was Indian) - and he answers - Phillipines.

Long story short - all I could get out of him was, we need to wait for tap activation - technician needs to come out to your location. BS. I'm already talking to twc.com with my modem. It's pushed 53 minutes! Finally, gets to his supervisor, Hailey who solves it in about 5 minutes - reboots the modem, activates it, etc.. Total call time 1 hr 3 min!!

At that point, it's my newer (Precision) Dell that's directly on the modem. I don't want to complicate things. Anyhow, after that calls done, I put the ethernet cable into the router and try to get onto the the internet through WiFi. Only, *this* PC can't do it. It had no problem through the ethernet, but WiFi, good luck - this after I've successfully used WiFi in tonnes of other places. Why me?

So, I want to make sure it's not the router. I get my phone on there, and my older PC - on which I'm typing this (all laptops, BTW :) - whoever sees a desktop anymore:)?) So, it *is* the PC. A huge thank you to the geniuses at Redmond and Austin who make the crappy stuff that lets Apple ads poke fun at them.

Problem : One or more network protocols are missing on this computer.

Side note : Occasionally, I see the Skype popus announcing people coming online. Hmm..

What did I do? I put the etheret back - this time between the router and the PC and internet access worked. And then, I took the cable out - and internet access worked :) Go figure :)

No comments: