Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Hardest Part - Made Easy

For a CS guy, this would be a breeze - a GUI that lets you talk to your chip, load macros, save macros. But, me, I have to suffer. Fortunately, through the great work of Mr. Rajat, of Autohotkey fame, I don't have to mess with crap like java AWT or M$ VB or VC++. SmartGui Creator does the work for you - creating the GUI that is, you still have to fill in stuff..



The "macros" part promises to be interesting. I've never done anything like it before. But, my recent brush with iPhone programming has me thinking along the right lines I think - though a true CS programmer might get a shock at my approach :

Have your utility functions
Have an execute queue
Have macro queues
When an event needs to be handled, add the required function call to the execute queue and to the "history" macro queue; then call the execute function which takes that queue as its input
When a macro is called, dump all of its contents into the execute queue and call the execute function

So, you're really building a parser and an exec function, etc. Like I said, a CS man would know exactly where to look to get this done in 5 minutes. Good programmers can code. Great programmers can reuse.

Image courtsey of flamingtext.com btw - see your name in big lights, make cool logos.

No comments: