Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Perl Tk Tutorial

I mention this just so it'll be easy for me to find in the future. I'm running this on WinXP Cygwin btw.

http://www.bin-co.com/perl/perl_tk_tutorial/contents.php

I tried starting a debate on which was better for what I wanted to do - perl or autohotkey. Looks like I end up with people tell me how to do what I want in AHK. AHK is super - light, has a basic visual frontend for simple GUI creation, is dead simple to install, no dependencies, and generates executable. Perl is super for serious stuff though.

Guruspeak :

Problem with AHK solutions is that they are tied to a specific platform. Tools like Perl and Java are generally more portable. (With Perl it depends on the availability of the module for multiple platforms esp. with GUI.) You can also consider using Qt directly since it is cross platform. This was built by a company called Trolltech who were acquired by Nokia http://qt.nokia.com/products and this is the backbone for KDE's GUI.

Response :

All too heavy. Autohotkey seems to be the only thing that's light and comes with a decent visual WYSIWYG frontend. And they have a forum with great people who help you out.

No comments: