Sunday, January 03, 2016

The Analog Hole not About Money Anymore

A long time ago, there was something in EE Times or EDN or one of those useless newsletter purveyors about concern about the analog hole - you encrypt your stuff and all's well, but, how do you prevent copying when the content eventually is delivered to the user in an analog fashion - say from a speaker?

Skype says : We're helpless :

Adrian Asher, Skype's chief information security officer, says his company can't prevent these technologies from compromising its service: "Can we control [spyware] taking an audio stream off the speakers or the microphone? No, there is nothing we can do."

So, the real question for us small-fry is : what can we do? How safe is Linux from these monsters? Can you install something on Windows that can watch for this crap that Hu Jintao installs? Has Apple done anything about this?

Few years ago, on a trip to die Schweiss, I bumped into a guy working for Lumension (a Luxembourgian) who said that, when they had an exercise to see which platform would cave in first - the Mac was the first one that was broken into.

http://leaksource.info/2014/08/09/hack-back-a-diy-guide-for-those-without-the-patience-to-wait-for-whistleblowers/

My question is : How can I hire these geniuses to do useful things for me? I'm struggling to get my crappy CAD tools to give me what Cadence can.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8143232

I had a question : What do these smart people do for a living? I mean, the guy who took down Gamma - what does he do to pay rent?

http://www.businessinsider.com/we-found-out-how-much-money-hackers-actually-make-2015-7

No comments: