Wednesday, February 03, 2016

After Years and Years, Finally, nedit.wordDelimiters

Multi-year frustration thanks to the *ds to put out Cygwin.

Never could figure out how to get the Xresources to be honoured by the once-great-still-unmatched Nirvana Editor. ~/.Xresources has no effect whatsoever.

All my own fault - the waiting part of it...

See, I had been using an alias in bash just to get around the problem of NEdit using csh for filtering selections through a shell command. And bash is all we have these days on cygwin (why?).

So,

function medit() { /usr/bin/nedit -xrm "nedit.shell: /bin/bash"  "$@" ;}

Has been in my ~/.bashrc for a while now. And I put it there without really thinking about what I was typing - and, today, I see the light and upgrade to 

function medit() { /usr/bin/nedit -xrm "nedit.shell: /bin/bash" -xrm "nedit.wordDelimiters: .,\\\`\'\!@#%^&*()-=+{}[]\":;<>?" "$@" ;}

And it's heaven again. Thank you Fermilab. If high-energy physicists from a once-great institute can't do without a decent text-editor, how sir can you and I?

No comments: