Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Heutes Wissen

Aus Carl Selinger.. good stuff

Effectiveness is more important than efficiency. I obsess over efficiency - I want to get my setup right so that I get the job done with the least effort. But, it's better to deliver on time even if you have to work a few extra hours to get it done with the inefficient setup. That is - don't prioritize working on the setup.. You can do that later. Credit to me - I'll put in the extra hours ahead of time to get the setup right so I can be efficient. But, I never thought about this.. When other people have to get stuff done and come to me for help, I usually give them grief about their crappy setups that are sapping their efficiency...

Use breadcrumbs *all* the time (as Greg Wilson would say, make sure you can trace everything back to source!) - sure, you practise good self-management by keeping track of what you do and change. How about when you tweak someone else's setup and they later come back saying something's broken? In future - keep track of every change there as well! Tell them, that if stuff acts funny, "use your phone to take video", "capture screenshots". People may not be as smart or evince as much initiative as you. Take that into account!

Thanks Carl : There's a difference between doing things and getting things done :)

Dealing with difficult people : don't avoid them; be assertive; monitor closely to get things done

No comments: