Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Applying what I Learnt from Colin Powell

Not directly of course - a presentation I saw about 15 years ago (yes, I have a decent memory :)

something about "Seek out mentors, ..."

My latest interaction :

Hi X,
        I visited once and met you. I'm between jobs now and have some time. Are you open to me spending a day with you looking at what you're working on and seeing what gaps I have in my skillset and discussing how to fill them?

I'm an IC designer, but my dream is to do computer vision stuff...

X :

I'm sorry to say I don't yet recall our meeting. My current work is in electronics and design for manufacture of wearables and gadgets.

I'm currently in NY and might be back Mid Sept some time ... though then I might be headed to china for a bit.

Why don't you email me again a week or two into sept to see where I'm at of that works for you

Me : to me : so that's basically a no. But, not to worry. My subconscious mind will find a way.

The PPT of General Powell's leadership advice is here (thanks ) :


I remember this one and it makes me ashamed from time to time :

Trying to get everyone to like you is a sign of mediocrity: you'll avoid the tough decisions, you'll avoid confronting the people who need to be confronted, and you'll avoid offering differential rewards based on differential performance because some people might get upset.

Welchi sums it up : Leaders have a knack for making unpopular decisions and gut calls.

No comments: